lördag 7 maj 2011

Weekly assignment 3, Theodore Boone by John Grisham

I´m reading the novel Theodore Boone and I have reached page 200. I didn't think so much about the environment at first, but when I started to focus on that I discovered that there were only a few environment descriptions. That didn't bother me at first because it seemed to be unnecessary, but I've changed my mind and now I would prefer if the author had put a little bit more effort on that.


In my first post I talked about the characters and I told you why I got the impression of the Boone family as an organized family because of their behavior. The descriptions of their house is making that impression stronger, an example is all the clocks they have everywhere in their house which is a clear evidence of organized people.
I understand why the lawyers' offices are described pretty well. The look of the office is saying much about how they are, and it's an effective way to get to know the person better. An example is Woods Boone's office, I can tell he is a successful lawyer because of the description. His office is huge, and he has like many other lawyers a so called Ego Wall. It´s covered with diplomas, awards, photos and certificates of memberships. Marcella Boone, his wife, has an almost empty wall. I know she looks at Woods Boone's wall jealously because she was the person who named it The Ego wall, sneering.
There are not so many descriptions of the environment in this novel, and I would prefer if the author had described the environment a little bit more. Like I said in my previous post, it could be a little bit boring sometimes during the long trials. If John Grisham would have described the courtroom at that time, maybe I would have been able to keep up with the story by creating a better picture in my mind of how it looked like.
/ Anonymous

Inga kommentarer: