måndag 9 maj 2011

Linger - fifth and last post

Now I´ve finished the book and I’m not going to retell everything that I’ve read because in the Easter holiday I’ve read over 300 pages. The last chapters went past very fast because I just wanted to know the solution of the story and how the whole book would end. But I noticed that after four weeks of reading in English I’ve become more and more comfortable  with the language and less and less used to read Swedish texts.
The book starts with “This is the story about a boy who used to be a wolf and a girl who was becoming one.” I´ve thought a lot about that line because Maggie Stiefvater has chosen to end “Linger” with the exact same line as in the beginning. When I read it on the first page I thought about what she wanted me to think, which conclusions did she want me to make? My thoughts went wild about what she really meant with that line as her story starter. She must be really smart to put that sentence first in the book. After that you desperately need to read on to see what she means. And you get your answer in the last two chapters so you’re eager to read all the time.  I got a little annoyed about it because she hadn’t written anything about Grace was near to shift into a werewolf in the first book. It came as a lightning from clear sky for me, as you would say in Swedish. But now afterwards I think it was that sentence that made “Linger” my temporary drug. Even though I later on forgot the sentence and got completely overwhelmed by the story.
I can’t wait until July 12th this summer when the third and last book in the series releases. And I’ve decided that I’m going to read it in English because everything felt more closely described and well written than when I read “Frost”. But also because it’s so much fun reading and learning English! J (Or it’s because the book won’t show up in stores on Swedish much later than the English one…) I’ve also considered reading “Linger” and “Forever” (the third book) in Swedish so I can compare if the English version really is better than the Swedish. Maybe I will keep reading in English after that.
I’m still stuck in Maggie Stiefvater’s way of writing. She catches that specific emotion and creates the perfect balance of the environment and the characters behavior in every situation in an excellent way. Now when I’ve started to read a new book I think the “new” author is far behind in her writing skills. But maybe I hadn’t thought that way if I hadn’t been reading Linger by wonderful Maggie Stiefvater.

 /Dynamit-Harry

Inga kommentarer: